1. The registration exercise for 2017 admission for Kindergarten 1 (K1) in the MOE Kindergartens will be held on two days – 2 and 4 April (for 8 centres), and 9 and 11 April (for 7 centres). The registration exercise is open to Singapore Citizen and Permanent Resident children born between 2 January 2012 and 1 January 2013 (both dates inclusive).
2. To find out more about the curriculum, programmes and facilities offered, parents are invited to open houses where they will be able to tour the facilities and learn more about MOE Kindergartens. The dates and times for the registration exercise and open house for each Kindergarten are in Annex A.
CURRICULUM AND PROGRAMMES
3. The MOE Kindergarten curriculum is distinct in Singapore flavour which allows children to learn in an authentic context. Through its two flagship programmes – the Starlight Literacy Programme and the HI-Light Programme, the kindergartens aims to nurture early childhood bilingualism and support the holistic development of children through meaningful and connected learning experiences.
4. Teachers use two core pedagogies to engage children in learning. First is purposeful play, where children participate in activities that are enjoyable and deliberately planned to achieve important learning outcomes. Second is quality interactions, where teachers use prompts and ask key questions to engage children in conversations to help them build on ideas and concepts.
5. The MOE Kindergarten curriculum is designed by MOE’s curriculum and pre-school specialists and trained educators with knowledge and experience in early childhood education, and who are familiar with the primary school curriculum. The pre-school specialists were also involved in developing the MOE’s Nurturing Early Learners Framework, which guides the development of kindergarten programmes in Singapore’s pre-school education sector. In addition, 12 of the 15 MOE Kindergartens are located within primary schools. This has facilitated a close understanding and partnership between all the MOE Kindergartens and their host and nearby primary schools.
6. For more information about the MOE Kindergartens, visit www.moe.gov.sg/moekindergarten. Parents may also contact the individual MOE Kindergartens or MOE at email@example.com or 6872 2220 (Mondays to Fridays: 8.00am to 6.00pm, Saturdays: 8.00am to 1.00pm).
ABOUT MOE KINDERGARTENS
7. In 2013, MOE announced that 15 MOE Kindergartens would be set up over the next three years. The objectives of the MOE Kindergartens are to provide quality pre-school education that is affordable to Singaporeans, to pilot teaching and learning resources, and to establish good practices for sharing with the pre-school sector. The MOE Kindergartens seek to nurture children holistically, so that they grow as confident children with strong social skills and a good foundation in literacy and numeracy.
8. The MOE Kindergarten programme is a half-day (4-hour) programme. To cater to parents who require a full-day service, Kindergarten Care services are available at most MOE Kindergartens, Mondays to Fridays, from 7am to 7pm.
Source: www.moe.gov.sg Press Release 11 Mar 2016